Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Importance of Taking Time to Party - Together

So today´s post will not be one of my most substantive because I only have a little bit of time and no photos. The area that I am in is pretty safe, but I have avoided taking pictures because at most of the things I have been at I have not seen anyone else taking photos.

Last night there was a big party for the Festa São Joao (Festival of Saint John). I am right downtown so I could hear music coming for 4 different directions and people were dancing in the plazas. As I watched everyone singing along I remembered how important it is for there to be collective experiences that all citizens can share. No matter the color or the class this entire country is celebrating this festival and making a week of it. In fact, pretty much all of June is just one big festival because there are three saints holidays this month.

I realize that in Boston we don´t have anything that brings the entire city together in celebration. We unite when one of our sports teams wins, but that is not a guaranteed festival. There are different ethnic festivals like the Carribbean Festival that I grew up going to, but not everyone is there and there are many people, even like my husband, who have barely heard about the Puerto Rican festival, etc.

I am thankful to many people who are creating different events that bring people together, but I really long for something that brings us all together. Maybe we should do more with the 4th of July, maybe we can take Memorial Day or Labor Day to a new level. However we think about it, I do think we need something cathartic like a huge street festival to bring us together. There is nothing like dancing in the streets to make people feel connected.

Tonight I will try to take some photos so that you can see where I am and what I am doing. I have been really hesitant to take photos because most people are mistaking me for Brazilian (as long as I don´t talk too much) and I have been enjoying being in a place where I blend in.

On another note I want to say that Brazilians are a beautiful people. Last night I was at a concert where there were a bunch of folks dancing nearby who looked like the most beautiful collection of Black people some of whom looked like they had just stepped out of a 70s movie with beautifully coiffed Afros, braids, and I had a moment where I felt really proud to be part of such a beautiful and resiliant group of people.

Later this week I will be moving into a residential neighborhood and visiting with people who are working in the parts of Salvador where tourists don´t visit. I am sure that I will have a different vision when I get there. However, as a person that is used to seeing my people struggle and feeling the frustration of not being able to "fix" everything. I am going to take a moment to appreciate the beauty and leave the deeper reflection for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Dope!!! I'm really glad your experiencing Brasil and the festas. Please please please try to pick up some Portugese. Don't forget the Sunday night Olodum concerts in the Pelo. Also any chance at all you can bring me back a berimbau bag, Olodum colors (Red, Green and Black). They should'nt be more the 35 Reals at Mercado Modelo (they will try to tell you 60 Reals, don't believe them).
    Beijos y um Abrazo Grande
    An

    ReplyDelete