Sunday, June 7, 2009

The First Flight is Over

From: divamariama@gmail.com
Subj: The First Flight is Over
We have just landed in Atlanta and are preparing for our next flight from ATL to GRU (the international airport in Sao Paulo).

This picture is of us at the airport in Boston. A bunch of workaholics ready to take this journey of rest and reflection. There is not much to report so far. We got off fine at the airport. My whole immediate family was there to see me off. Complete in Hammond style with a "just before I had to go through security" arrival by my dad.

I have to admit that it was really hard to leave my husband. We have been apart quite a bit because he used to travel a lot for work. However, saying goodbye this timw was different. I am not just going on a work trip, but on a journey - an adventure that will probably change me. It is wierd not to come home to share that with him.

In addition, we have only gone two days without talking on the phone since we started dating more than 7 years ago. I am not sure that I will be able to call every night, so that will be strange.

Then there was saying goodbye to my neice Ella. She gave me a kiss but didn't seem to understand why everyone was making such a big deal. At 3 years old you don't understand the concept of how long a month is. She definitely doesn't understand that some phone calls are too expensive to make on a whim. I will miss her a lot.

My sister has agreed to read my blog to her every night, so Ella Bella Boo titi loves you. So go to bed and try to be potty trained by the time I get home.

Signing off for now!

Mariama

2 comments:

  1. I applaud your courage. This journey will surely change you in ways that only God can know. As your sister in ministry, I will keep your marriage in my prayers. God's gift of a mate goes back to the beginning and I am so glad that you have your husband to support you through your pilgrimage. Do God's work and HE will do the rest. PS I have a sorority sister who is a fulbright scholar and plans to spend her time in Brazil. I'll look into the details. Be well. Rev. Chontell Nelson Washington, Bethel Providence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you back through Atlanta when you return? Let us know if you have a layover long enough to grab a meal or a drink. Happy travels!

    Eleasah

    ReplyDelete