Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Are Crocs a Crock?

So I want to make sure that I share this because I know that there are a lot of people in my network who wear Crocs. Last night while at dinner (which I will describe later) I met a woman who is working on a community business to reuse unrecyclable materials.

She told me that the company that makes Crocs used to have a factory in Brazil. Because she had been working with the same materials that Crocs are made of she was contacted by the company to see if they could give her their leftover waste. Because thet created so much waste her project was too small to take it all so she pulled people together to come up with a viable project and then she presented it to Croc but they only wanted to donate the waste.

In all of Crocs advertising they claim to work with EcoFriendly materials and they have drop of places where you can "recycle" their shoes.

If that is the case why did they need her to take the waste. Why couldn't they just recycle it? If it can't be recycled where does all that waste go? If this woman who is doing a whole business around this material has never heard of a way to recycle this material, what is the chance that Croc has found some method that no one else has heard of?

So if someone from Croc can give me a credible answer on how exactly they recycle their material then maybe I will believe that their eco image is more than load of CROCK!

1 comment:

  1. I have heard about this before. The only reason crocks can claim recyclability is because the are made of one material as opposed to other shoes which are comprised of many.

    The recycling however is quite the conundrum, you have to ship your crocs to a US based recycling center and then they wil most likely ship it to one of thier factories (Mexico, China, Brazil and Romania) to be reprocessed and molded into new shoes.

    More of a carbon footprint is added in this long process and like you expierenced, I bet there is a bunch of shredded croc material just overwelming these factories. The company responsible for the reclycing is called SolesUnited.

    Crocs are ugly.

    Jellies are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete